Sauce vierge is classic summer condiment often eaten fish. Here, we've used it as a dressing for our version of a winter fattoush. Charred Brussel sprouts, juicy roasted red onions and crunchy winter greens is the perfect combination for an easy, tasty salad.
2 red onions, peeled and sliced into 1 cm thick rings
200 g brussels sprouts, leaves separated and rinsed
4 slices of bread (we used Turkish flatbread but sourdough would be nice too!)
3 tomatoes, seeds removed and finely chopped
3 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
1 tbsp capers, chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
juice and zest of 1 lemon
20g parsley, leaves and stalks finely chopped
50g spinach leaves
50g mixed leaves of your choice (we used radicchio)
A good handful of pomegranate seeds
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (fan). Transfer the onion rounds to a lined baking tray, sprinkle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on the middle shelf for 30 minutes until cooked through and nicely browned at the edges.
2. In the meantime, toss the brussels sprouts in some oil, salt and pepper. Heat a griddle pan on high heat. As soon as the pan is smoking, add the brussels sprouts until strong griddle marks appear. Set aside and leave to cool.
3. Brush the bread with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Using the same pan, griddle the bread for a couple of minutes each side. Cut into 3 wedges and set aside.
4. To make the sauce: Heat 4 tbsp of olive oil a small frying pan on medium heat. Fry the garlic, capers and anchovy for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the tomato and chopped parsley, heat through. Remove from the heat, add 1 tsp of lemon zest and 2 tbsp of lemon juice. Check the seasoning, (the anchovies make it quite salty so beware) add a pinch of sugar to taste and set aside.
5. To assemble, take a large bowl and add your salad leaves. Top with the brussels, roasted onion and mix in the toasted bread. Using a large spoon, sprinkle the sauce over the salad. Garnish with the chopped chili, pomegranate seeds and a good grind of black pepper.